Monday, March 11, 2013

You Are Able

I came across a YouTube video that discussed Ableism. Ableism is discrimination against people with disabilities. A disability includes any kind of cognitive (hinders ideas, memory, concentration, reason and ability to think), visual, speech and dexterity impairments (reduced function of ligaments like arms and hands). It also includes learning disabilities, deafness and blindness.


This can affects most people sometime in their life. Since it also includes the elderly. It has even affected me for a few months.

Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease I had swollen feet & ankles that made things difficult, such as: going to class, going up the stairs to my room in residence, getting on a bus, walking for long periods of time and going up any slants. Basically I struggled walking, it didn't hurt but my feet felt like they weighed a lot. It took a month after my diagnosis for it to go away.

During the time I had this I was told that I got strange looks when I went out of the house. I didn't pay attention to it, I was too busy taking in all the stuff around me to notice them. I just figured that it was a good reason to look at my surroundings more, since I could rush anywhere.


Lazaro Arbos stated the discrimination he's had when he said that he works at an ice cream shop because that's the only job he could get "That I don't have to do smart people stuff like talk."

Hearing him say that hurt and it should. Everything should be equal their should be no need for all these names about discrimination. I believe that every person on this Earth deserves to be treated equally. So if you are one of those people giving others glares or discriminating, just cut it out. One day you'll be that person and you won't want that done to you.

0 comment luv:

Post a Comment